Vegan Cherry & Lemon Pie with Brie Ice Cream
Un-Brie-Lievable™, Unsalted Original Butter
Cherry pie, but make it vegan! Topped with a dollop of Un-Brie-Lievable™ ice cream, you'll want to skip the slices and dig right in.
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tsp sugar
- ¼ tsp salt
¼ cup (4 tbsp) Nuts For Butter™
- 1/4 cup + 2 tbsp (6 tbsp) vegan margarine
- 3-4 tbsp ice water
- 1 540 mg can of cherry pie filling
- 1 lemon, juiced
- Zest of 1 lemon rind
- ¾ cup full fat coconut milk from a can (use the top of the can)
2 wedges of Un-Brie-Lievable™
- 1 cup maple syrup
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- 2 tbsp vanilla
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- Prepare the ice cream ahead of time so it has time to freeze. Add everything to a blender and blend until smooth. Pour into a chilled loaf pan. Freeze.
- Prepare the pie crust by first by placing your rolling pin in the freezer and by cutting your margarine into spoonfuls and add them into the freezer. Prep your water by adding 1 cup of water to a bowl and add some ice cubes to it.
- Then add the flour, sugar and salt to large bowl. Add your margarine to the bowl and cut your butter into small cubes and add them into the bowl (it’s important to keep everything as cold as you possible can.
- Take a fork or a pastry cutter and cut the butter and margarine into the flour until it crumbles (don’t overwork).
- Once crumbly add 1 Tbsp of ice-cold water to the bowl at a time, cutting the crumbles into the water until everything combined. Once the dough pulls together and there's no extra flour, cover the dough with plastic wrap, then chill in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes. *If your dough feels dry and crumbly add more water, 1 Tbsp at a time. Be mindful to not over mix or else the dough won’t roll.
- After 30 minutes, remove the dough from the refrigerator and roll out onto a lightly floured surface to about 1/4-inch thickness. Lightly move your dough overtop of your pie pan and press into the pan. Remove the extra dough and roll it out to form the pie topping. We used a cookie cutter to get flower shapes but you can make any topping you like. Here is a great tutorial on how to make pie dough.
- Prepare the pie filling by mixing everything into a bowl. Add the filling to your crust about ½ or ¾ of the way full. Use the remaining pie dough to create the topping.
- Once prepared, add to the oven to bake for about 50 minutes, until the topping is golden.
- When the pie is about 40 minutes through you can remove your ice cream from the freezer to thaw a bit before serving. Once cooked through, let pie cool for a couple minutes before serving.