Vegan Broccoli Cheddar Soup
Sharp Cheddar, Unsalted Original
1 tbsp olive oil
2 shallots, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, sliced
- 2 tbsp Unsalted Original Nuts for Butter
- 2 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1 ½ cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup soy milk
- salt & pepper, to taste
- ½ tsp paprika
- ½ tsp mustard powder
- 1 head broccoli, chopped into bite sized pieces
- 1 small carrot, diced
- 1 wedge Sharp Cheddar Nuts for Cheese
In a heavy-bottomed pot (like a dutch oven) heat olive oil or medium-heat. Once warm add shallots and garlic. Cook until softened, about 3-5 minutes.
- Add Unsalted Original Nuts for Butter to the pan, once melted sprinkle in the all-purpose flour and whisk vigorously until no more lumps remain. Cook the flour mixture, whisking continuously, for an additional 1-2 minutes.
- Slowly pour in the vegetable broth while whisk it into the flour and butter mixture. Once all the vegetable broth has been incorporated, pour in the soy milk and whisk. Cook, stirring occasionally, for an additional 5-6 minutes or until slightly thickened.
- Season the soup with salt, pepper, paprika, and mustard powder – then add broccoli and carrots. Cook for 5 minutes or until the veggies are tender.
- Stir in the Sharp Cheddar Nuts for Cheese until melted into the soup.
- Serve warm.