Creamy Dairy-Free Mushroom Risotto with Shiitake Bacon
Cheesy Mushroom Risotto is the best way I can think of to cope with the fact that there isn’t juuuust one more day between Sunday and Monday. This dish is topped with shiitake bacon and a microgreen salad and also features our new Black Garlic wedge (... but in a pinch would be just as fine made with our Un-Brie-Lievable™, Smoky Artichoke and Herb, or Smoky Gouda!)
½ of a triangle of Black Garlic Nuts for Cheese™
- 1 yellow onion
- 227 g cremini mushrooms (or white button)
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup Arborio (risotto) rice – short grain rice
- 3 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- 1 cup water
- 1 tsp thyme
- ½ lemon
- 2 tbsp tamari
- ¼ tsp liquid smoke
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 100 g shiitake mushrooms
- Prep the shiitake bacon by removing the stem of the shiitake mushrooms and slicing them into thin pieces. Add the mushrooms to a bowl with the liquid smoke, maple syrup and tamari. Mix everything until combined and let sit.
- Heat up a large skillet over medium heat. Mince the garlic, onion and slice your cremini mushrooms. Once the skillet is warmed up, add 1 Tbsp of olive oil.
- Add the onion and garlic to the oil and cook until softened and fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Add the mushrooms and cook down until soft, about 5-7 minutes.
- Once the mushrooms are cooked, add the rice and stir for about 5 minutes.
- Pour the white wine vinegar into the pan and let it cook off for about 1-2 minutes.
- Add the thyme and stir around until everything is combined.
- Now start to slowly add ½ cup of broth to the pan and cook down the rice, repeat adding ½ cup broth to the pan for about 40 minutes, until the rice is soft. After you’ve run out of broth, continue with water until you get a creamy risotto consistency. Keep an eye on this to be sure the liquid doesn’t absorb too fast and burn the rice.
Once your rice is desired consistency, add ½ block Black Garlic Nuts for Cheese™ and squeeze ½ lemon into the risotto and stir to combine.
- Meanwhile, while the risotto is cooking, cook the shiitake bacon. Heat a small skillet on medium. Add the other Tbsp of olive oil. Once warm, add the marinated shiitake bacon and cook for about 10 minutes, stirring frequently until the shiitake bacon is crisp.
- Serve the risotto with shiitake bacon and microgreen salad.