Artichoke Carbonara with Shiitake Bacon (gluten-free option)
Artichoke & Herb
- ½ 454 g pack of linguine pasta (can use gluten-free)
- 1.50 cups cherry tomatoes
- 1 tbsp avocado oil
- ½ onion, minced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tbsp avocado oil
- 2 cups almond milk, unsweetened
- 1 tbsp flour (all purpose gluten-free flour)
1 wedge of Nuts For Cheese™ Artichoke & Herb
- ½ tsp black pepper
- ¼ tsp sea salt (optional)
- 3 cups shiitake mushrooms, stem removed and sliced (should equal about 2 cups)
- 1 tbsp tamari
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- ½ tbsp liquid smoke
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tbsp avocado oil
- ¾ cup raw cashews
- ¼ cup nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp onion powder
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- Preheat oven to 430F. Add tomatoes to a sheet pan with oil, salt and pepper, and bake for 15 minutes (until blistered).
- Prepare your shiitake bacon by adding everything into a small bowl, tossing the ingredients and marinating for a few minutes.
- While the tomatoes are cooking, cook pasta in a large pot according to package. After the pasta are cooked, drain, rinse with cool water and drizzle a couple tsp of oil on them so they don’t stick together (set aside).
- Preheat a saucepan over medium and cook the shiitake mushrooms by adding them in ½ Tbsp heated oil for about 15 minutes, stirring frequently. They will be done when they are browned and liquid has been cooked off.
- While the mushrooms are frying, in the same pot as the pasta, heat oil over medium. Add the onion and garlic and cook for about 5-7 minutes, stirring frequently, until translucent. Add flour and cook for about 30 seconds.
- Add nut milk and cook until the liquid thickens a little bit and it begins to bubble.
- Add the Smoky Artichoke wedge, sea salt (optional) and whisk until a sauce forms. Reduce heat to low.
- Once the sauce is cooked, take cooked pasta and add to the sauce, stir until sauce coats the pasta.
- Make sure the shiitake bacon is fully cooked, and the tomatoes are removed from oven, and add mushrooms and tomatoes to pasta and toss.
- Serve and then sprinkle some cashew parmesan on top of the pasta.