Vegan French Onion Soup
Salted Original Butter
- 6 onions (white, spanish, or mix) sliced thin / aprox 6 cups
2 tbsp Nuts for Butter™ Salted Original, room temperature
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- ½ cup red wine
- 2 tbsp flour
- 6 cups vegetable stock
- 2 tsp dijon
- 1 sprig of thyme
- salt & pepper
frozen Nuts for Cheese™ Super Blue
- Heat a large stock pot over low-medium. Add the butter and oil and slowly melt. Add the onion, season with salt and pepper and toss to coat. Stir every 5 minutes to caramelize the onions for about 1 hour. The onions will turn golden and soft.
- Once the onions are caramelized, add the flour and toss to coat.
- Add the red wine and cook for 5 minutes until it is evaporated.
- Add the stock, dijon, thyme sprig, season with salt and pepper.
- Cook on a low simmer for 30-45 minutes
- Meanwhile, toast the baguettes or cut into cubes and add to the oven at 350 degrees for 5-7 minutes.
- Once the soup is ready, pour into soup bowls, add baguette and grate Super Blue on top and broil until cooked.